Friday, February 27, 2009

More farming

Aside from using big dawgs, farmers can use donkeys or llamas as livestock guardians. Llamas tend to me more typical in the U.S., while donkeys are used all over the world (Namibia, Switzerland, the US), including Romania. Most herds of sheep in Romania include at least one donkey. I once saw a particularly large flock of about 200-300 sheep which had a donkey entourage of about 7 donkeys (I almost jumped off the train to go check it out. I am obsessed with shepherding and sheep and donkeys. It is not even normal, at all). 

Below are photos of Mama Donkey and baby donkey accompanying the flock close to Turda where I occasionally (though not much as of late) ride horses.

Donkeys are naturally aggressive and fearful of dogs and will bray at and also charge, bite, kick at intruders. Their success rate in formal studies is very high. However, there seems to be an issue with using LGDs and herding dogs with donkeys. This Romanian shepherd has managed it, probably by simply putting everyone together and throwing rocks at anyone that doesn't get along. 

Say hello to the little donk!

No comments: