Thursday, February 12, 2009

FASHION!

I commented on Romanian fashion shortly after I arrived here, and I think I've gotten an even better feel for it now. I was inspired by my sister's wonder at the idea that Romanians don't all live in huts with their pigs, wearing rough wool sweaters and rubber boots (that's just in the countryside ;-) ) Women here, and even further East, are extremely into their appearances. Not to say they are any more or less vain than Westerners, particularly given the American obsession with plastic surgery, but there's something about the American need for COMFORT that would never cross a Romanian's mind in getting dressed in the morning. 

This piece was particularly inspired by my sister, who I got to see recently, and our compared outlooks on fashion: she prefers to wear her 'bling' jeans: ghetto fabulous embellished ... things with her white, FUZZY hoody, while I prance around in spandex and short dress or my deep teal skinny pants (a real Romanian-inspired purchase). My years-long love of wearing scarves is also blossoming in this supportive environment. 

The typical American girl will wear gratuitously slutty clothes all through high school, preferably extremely tight jeans and a skinny tank top. Either Nike sneakers and UGGGGGGGGGGGG boots complete this strangely mixed, tasteless look. Hoodies are a staple as well. But only over skinny slutty tank tops so the hoody can be removed if the need to be hott/slutty presents itself. Should she be feeling tired or lazy, the ideal outfit will comprise sweat pants, a hoody, hair in the messiest ponytail possible and UUGGGGSSSSSSSS. Once she has a job, the American girl has to wear conservative, dark, boring work clothes to go with what is expected in the work environment, and once she is a mom, will wear sweatshirts and jeans and sneakers the rest of her life.  [However, if she is a rich American girl, she will wear expensive slutty shirts and expensive designer too-tight jeans out, then in adulthood regress to toddlers years in pastel, conservative, 'tasteful' Lilly Pulitzer dresses for dress up; a black North Face or Patagonia fleece (but still UGGS) for dress-down, and lots of LL Bean in motherhood.] The end. 

Romanian girls create far more interesting outfits. Patent leather is necessary, whether in black crocodile print, yellow or pink. Multi colored jeans, bright tights and skirts, cute blouses layered with colorful scarves, or all sleek black/black/black patent leather ensembles. Heels are HIGH and eye make up is THERE. While the look is decidedly sexy, it is not slutty, and especially not boring slutty, like the American look. I think the lack of money inspires creativity- people here can't always afford to buy the newest, edgiest clothes every season. The resulting mix of textures and styles is sometimes decidedly Eastern European, but still attractive, rather than boring. 

American men wear jeans or sweats. That's it. And hoodies. And a baseball hat. [Unless they're slaves to fashion.]

Romanian men go for a Eurotrash/Cuban druglord blend. The Italian look is a big inspiration, and trendy button downs and Euro trash destroyed acid wash jeans with LOTS of zippers are what a man wears with his hair in an aggressive Euro mullet.

As a point of comparison, the Austrian youth try hard NOT to look attractive. The black goth/punk thing is out of control. Trendy, edgy, died, styled, short, unsymmetrical haircuts. Black clothes, ripped up shoes, etc, daring the conservative older generation to say something. The older generation wears only 'practical' and 'nice' clothes: either fairly trendy jeans and shirts (that are still age-appropriate) and died red or blonde hair or the tracht look, with solid, practical, comfortable clothing adorned with the edelweiss. 

I've taken the 'I'm a foreigner and I'm just going to wear whatever' route. Though I think I am getting the hang of it: there's an art to pairing just the right not-quite-matching-but-still-complementary scarf with a shirt and vest or sweater.  I also bought a pair of deep teal skinny pants, a patent leather maroon crocodile print huge purse, and a few various other Romanian items. 


No comments: