Saturday, November 1, 2008

Nuge vs. washing machine

Round 3, and I lose again. I am struggling juuuusttt a bit with this washer. While I must admit that it is positively modern compared to Rachel's (which, in typical Romanian fashion, empties its dirty water into a bathtub or toilet, depending on where the user places the end of the hose), it is still a German washer with directions in some Northern European language in which I am not fluent. The washer has a tendency to fill with water, wash, spin cycle, fill with water, wash, spin cycle, drain, wash, fill with water, spin cycle, drain, fill with water, wash, drain, fill with water..... until I intervene, at which point it just drains and empties exasperatingly while I try to get it to initiate the spin cycle. If you don't end on a spin cycle, clothes come out SOPPING wet, and if you don't open the washer right before the cycle continues to fill with water again, you will end up with half thoroughly spun-out clothes and half sopping wet clothes. 
I do so miss American dryers
- though the washing machine manages to clean clothes very well (which is obvious given the number of times it fills em
pties refills empties refills etc), clothes that are hung to dry come out extremely stiff. Clothes that are taken off this drying rack will retain their folded in half, upright shape. I could probably beat someone to death with my socks.  Freshly washed towels can scrub off dirt, grease, and four layers of skin. 


However, drying racks starch collars phenomenally well. Look at the structure of this sloppy sleeping shirt's collar. The decisive pop is WLU- lawn-party-caliber (minus the inappropriate, non-pastel color).

3 comments:

Dina said...

Your room looks like mine in the winter. Glad you have a radiator near the wet clothes. Mine can take days to dry.
Sorry about your complicated washer. Know any Scandinavian bloggers to translate the dial?

Anonymous said...

First check if there is a lint filter. If this needs clearing,if stops the programme completing (which could explain why the clothes are stiff- the rinse cycle is not operating. Otherwise the programmer or (if not electronic) timer is kaput. What make and model is the machine?

whitehorsepilgrim said...

The river worked fine for washing in my village.....