Monday, November 10, 2008

Blech and Insanity

So, sorry about the lack of posts. I was on a ROLL there for a few days, and then I tapered off. 

I went to Bucharest for the ELECTION party at the American Embassy. I absolutely refuse to comment on my political thoughts in that regard; suffice to say I was in the complete minority in my opinions. Whatever. We'll talk 2 years down the road. 

I had a good time with some other Fulbrighters, and it was better this time around, as it was less frantic 'meet and greet' and more relaxing with each other. 

Right before I left, I was put in touch with the Secretariat of the University Library and he was effusive in his support of my project and completely offered to extend a relationship between BBU-Cluj and any institution that accepts me for graduate work. He gave me his card and contact info and gave me a list of books to read and told me he'd love to meet frequently to discuss readings. I was thrilled to find someone to supervise my project, as I was starting to drift a bit randomly. This is also exciting, because, frankly, in this country, you don't mean anything unless you know *someone.* And in this country, if you've got a nice big office with your own secretary and large, intimidating doors, you're a big shot.  He told me if I ever have annnnyy problems in the library, I can come talk to HIM. That's right. I'm friends with the Secretariat. 

Maybe I should have an official stamp made for that. 


No comments: