Monday, October 27, 2008

Start at the end and work your way back

This weekend I had the chance to meet some people who, among other things, run an organization that offers grants to researchers whose fields of investigation are within the realm of supporting the idea of historic religious tolerance in Romania.
Basically, Transylvania used to be such a mix of different cultures and their religions, as the Catholic Szeklers, Catholic-turned-Protestant Hungarians, Catholic-turned-Protestant Saxons (Germans), a Unitarian seat (Hungarian influenced, I think), all lived together without religious persecution (unless you were an Orthodox Romanian, but that doesn't count, because the natives weren't 'really' people in medieval Transylvania). 
So, I am interested in the history of Christianity in Romania, and that does fall into my general topic. But while I am extremely eager to get access to some of the many contacts that these people could offer me, and though the topic wouldn't be really such a stretch at all for me (nor would I have to look at one thing at the expense of another), I am sort of hesitant to affiliate myself with anyone or any institution or idea, even if it were to be a casual affiliation.
I figure this will be the only year of my entire life that I can do exactly what I want, when I want, and not have to appease anyone's expectations, and I don't want to get into the type of research where you start with a premise and then seek proof for your preconceived ideas (ie, that's not research at all). 
Hmm.. but I would SO like to meet the head of the Hallowed Library- what if he lets me check out books for my research (!!!!!) ?

No comments: